RECIPE: Pumpkin Scones

Scones have been a big feature in my life recently. It started when Josh and I decided to have a scone bake-off. We were making scones and it ended in a competition because I kept telling him that he was doing it all wrong! Because we had so many left over from making the two batches, I took the rest to work to share with everyone. That's when Maz, my office partner, second mother and very good friend, decided to enter our competition. The next week scones featured for a second time at work!
My regular weekend baking last week resulted in making these pumpkin scones for Josh (he loves scones). I had just harvested some pumpkins from my garden and since scones had come up twice already, they were still on my mind! Pumpkin scones have always been my favourite so it was time to give them their spotlight. The result? Golden brown, crusty, melt in your mouth scones with great flavour...and this new recipe!


Preparation time: 15-20minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 8 large triangle scones or 10-12 regular sized scones

Ingredients:
2 cups plain wholemeal flour (I just use my bread making flour that I buy in bulk from Simply No Knead)
1tbsp baking powder
1tbsp chia seeds ground in a nutribullet or mortar and pestle (or an egg if you have your own chickens*)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs vegetable butter (Only use dairy butter if you had your own cow or goats - more on this to come in later posts*)
1/2-1 cup mashed pumpkin (it doesn't really matter how much)
1/2 cup (probably more) of almond milk (or any nut milk you fancy, keeping in mind whether or not the ingredients are Australian or from overseas, for example, coconut milk is from overseas and therefore has a big impact on climate change. Again, only use dairy milk if you have your own cow or goat or access to ones from a neighbour*)

Directions: 
  • Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. 
  • In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, ground chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, ground ginger and salt. 
  • Once these ingredients are combined rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips; lifting the flour up as you do so that your mixture is light. Once the butter is distributed evenly it should look like breadcrumbs. This process is the first key to perfect scones. 
  • Add the pumpkin and almond milk to the mixture and stir lightly. Try not to mix your dough too much. It should just be brought together gently to avoid tough scones. f your mixture is too dry add more almond milk bit by bit until you have a moist, but not wet, dough. (You should be able to handle it without it being too wet and sticky as you need to be able to flatten it out on a bench top to cut the scones out.) 
  • For triangle scones, form once big flat circle with the dough and using a long spatula or knife, cut the dough up, like a pizza, into 8 triangles. Cook them like this, without breaking them apart until after they're cooked.
  • For circular scones flatten out the dough but use a circular cookie cutter/scone cutter to cut out your scones. Keep your circle cuts as close to each other as you can to avoid having to bring the dough together too many times to use all your dough. (The more you bring it together the tougher your scones will get.)
  • Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The scones will tell you they're done when they are lovely and golden brown. 
  • These are very yummy served on their own with a sprinkle of salt or with a bit of jam - very flexible to suit whatever your taste buds are after! I imagine they would be yummy with a bean stew or soup as well. 
A word on spices: This is something I am yet to research properly. I am not sure where our spices are really coming from. I know a majority of spices come from overseas and this makes me uncomfortable with the environmental impact of importing these spices into our country. I am wondering if these spices can they be sourced or grown locally?
I do try, when at the supermarket (a rare thing because I buy most of my food from the La Trobe Farmer's Market at the moment), to look at the different spices and buy only Australian grown. I am mostly successful but there are some spices, like cloves, that always come from overseas.
I will keep you updated with my findings and future thoughts on using overseas spices once I have formed an opinion. I will also be doing a post on foods that come from far away that I am struggling to avoid using in my 'buy and eat local' quest. Some of these things include bananas and coffee - it should be an interesting post!
If you have any info about local spices, please let me know.

*A word on animal products: This is a topic I really want to flesh out in one of the next blog posts - I think you will find it an interesting perspective for a 4-year vegan to have!

If you make these scones please share a picture in the comments or tag me in your post! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Love, Liza


Comments

Popular Posts